All written work presented in academic environments, should follow rules and an organized structure that allows the proper development of the idea throughout the document. This structure must take into account the search sources during its execution, in this way the writer will avoid any inconvenience due to plagiarism.
To carry out a written work there are several rules that allow the regulation of said text, then some of them will be explained:
The APA standards are a series of standards with which all international type works must be presented. They can be used for any type of document, however it is recommended for those works related to research, thesis and other academic texts.
Format to develop works under the APA Standards
Paper: The size should be 21.59 x 27.94 centimeters, which equals 81⁄2 x 11 inches. For this case, letter or A4 paper can be used.
Spacing: The text must be double spaced and the alignment of the paragraphs must be justified. Spaces between paragraphs should not be used.
- Typeface: The font to be used will be Times New Roman with size 12.
- Margins: The margins of a written work should be left with a space of 2.54 / 1 centimeters.
- Sangrías: It must be of five spaces in the first line of each paragraph.
- The writing must be carried out in the third person.
- The numbering should be located in the upper right.
- The extensions of the titles may not be greater than thirty words.
- Only bullets or lines can be used for bullets.
- Parts of written work
- Presentation page: Place where the title of the work will be found, name of the author of the document, name of the professor, subject, school or university, city and date.
- Summary: The author should present in a concise manner the text that follows. It must contain between 600 and 900 characters.
- Text: Content of the document.
- References or bibliography: Sources consulted during the execution process. The list of references should be done with line spacing of 1.5, all should be French indented and the list of them should be organized alphabetically according to the last name of the authors.
- Footnotes: Annotations to the text that may be of interest to whoever is reading.
Tables and figures: Lines are used to distinguish the categories (the titles of each of the columns) from the rest. These tables should be numbered with Arabic numerals, and to write them it is advisable to do it in a size of 9 to 10 points.
Appendices: Note to the reader.
Margins Standards Icontec
Superior: Four centimeters for cover, sub-cover or titles. Three centimeters for leaves with regular content.
Bottom: Three centimeters.
Left: If the document is to be bound, it must be four centimeters if it is to be delivered with hooks, it must be three centimeters.
Right: Two centimeters.
Numbering: The pages of the text should be numbered contiguously using Arabic numerals. The cover and the cover should not be numbered but must be taken into account when counting the pages.
Spacing: You must leave two spaces after each title or subtitle, and use a single line spacing. It is important that this is justified and respecting margins.
Font or Typeface: Arial 12.
Writing: All content in the document must be governed by spelling and punctuation rules. The sequence in the third person is important.
Parts of a document written with Icontec Standards
There are 17 parts that must be exposed in each of the papers to be presented, they are suggested for complex documents such as thesis or research.
Located in the part before the body of text, it serves to stipulate ideas about the document. They should be left without a number but will be taken into account at the time of leaf count.
Its function is to preserve the worksheets, here information about the document will be presented.
Its function is to expand information about the work, where the names of the participants are mentioned.
Acceptance page for written work
Destined to the revision and approval of the document where the signatures of the people in charge will be found (directors, juries, etc.)
Place in which the author of the document can express a dedication.
Appreciation page based on Icontec Standards
Space in which the author will express his gratitude.
Content Icontec Standards
The author must write and organize the titles that are in the document. In this sheet the word “Index” or “Content” should be written as a title with capital letters at a distance of three centimeters from the upper limit.
Here the indexes used to list and title the tables, graphs, illustrations or annexes are mentioned.
Lists of Figures
- Each of the figures used in the document should be listed.
- Lists of Annexes
- Numbering in the order in which the annexes were included.
- Registration of essential terms to understand the document.
- Summary for parts of written work
- Summary about the content of your work, should not exceed three paragraphs.
Description of the objectives and themes developed in the document.
Content Development in Icontec Standards
Sequence of information that needs to be highlighted to be taken into account during the achievement and development of it.
Result obtained from the work done, this title must be written in capital letters.
Designed to expose the results obtained that were part of the work analysis. They must be written in alphabetical order.
List of references consulted to expand the research written in the document. Must be cited in alphabetical order.